[Tigers] Engine Removal

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Engine Removal
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:23:39 -0500
Alan,
  If you have the height it is good to have one of the devices that transfer
the load from the front to the back so you can have better balance.  If you
don't have the height the best bet is to go across the top of the engine
with chain and a bolt in each head end.  That way you have shear strength
instead of pulling straight from the top.  If I remember all of the bolts in
the top are 5/16 and the head front and rears are 3/8 also.  It is harder to
control with the chain and it might require some strength to shift it on the
hook but often height limitations require you to do it this way.  I don't
think the standard engine crane will lift it high enough to get engine and
tranny at one time and those fenders keep looking at the back of the
transmission when it is tipped just waiting to make contact. Engine parts
love paint and the bigger they are the more they love it. Perhaps someone
else on the list has gotten away with it and can chime in. Another option is
to take both out partially and then disconnect the bell housing making sure
of course to put a jack under the transmission. This is the only way I have
ever done it because my garage is only 9' 2". I don't remember removing the
rack or taking the harmonic balancer off but it has been a while.  Even
taking the front of the engine off might be easier than removing the rack
and it has to come off anyway. -- Bill --

I've got everything disconnected from the motor/tranny and am ready to pull
the pair.  Unfortunately, I don't have the means to drop them out the bottom
so, according the the shop manual, I need to remove the steering rack.  Now,
looking in the engine bay, it looks as though that when I drop the rear of
the
tranny, the damper pully will clear the rack easily.  Has anyone done this?
And, where are the suggested mount points for the chain?

Thanks in advance!