[Tigers] Lap Times of race cars in the 1964 period

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Lap Times of race cars in the 1964 period
From: Steven silverstein <milano164@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:33:27 -0400
Following the thread by Bill and Andy, I had just been reading a
Competition Press story on "How do '64 Production Car Classes Look?"
with comparison fastest lap times at Riverside.   These were times
from the Divisional held in Jan 1964.    For reference the race cars
were honestly production cars with production parts - SCCA rules were
that strict    (believe it or not, it wasn't until 64' that you could
run .040" over pistons.  I don't even think you could run flat tops
unless it was a feature of the car - the "factory Option list" game
was just beginning)

Here's what they listed:

H- sprite    2:05
F- TR-3    1:54
F- Sunbeam Alpine 1:55
E- Porsche (N) 1:51
E- Elva Courier 1:54
E- Morgan Plus 4 1:54
E- A-H 100/4   1:55
D- AH 3000 1:49
D- TR-4 1:50
D- AC Bristol 1:53
D- Lotus Elite 1:55
C- Morgan SS 1:46
C- Lotus Super 7 1:47
B- Corvette 1:47
B- Jaguar XKE 1:54
A- Cobra 1:43
A- Sting Ray 1:44

Again, This is Riverside, 2.8 miles long, 8 turns.  So, having top
mph would really payoff in a faster lap time.   As a note the Alpine
won on Saturday and led on Sunday until retiring.  Also note, in 1963
the Alpine was lumped in with E-Production and did OK - Don Sesslar
tied for E-P national championship points and Ed Lamb won the SW
division.

They even mention the 283 Corvettes will dominate B-P until the
Alpine-Ford (Tiger yet, un-named) arrives.

Steve Silverstein