Re: [Tigers] Merlin Engines

To: Scott Hutchinson <shutchin@netjets.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Merlin Engines
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:00:51 -0700
Well, now that streeetttchhhheddd Tiger would be different on the salt
for sure. Wheel base is an issue. When Ibuilt the Apline Race car it of
course had an 86 inch OEM wheel base. I had started to build a drag car
and after talking to NHRA tech chief I was convinced that the only wat
to run in a sanctioned event was tohave a 90 inch wheel base. So that's
what the race car is. It is not enough, lol! I can stretch teh wheel
base to 130 inches and actually put on a streamliner front end for aero
effect. But then it would not be a SUnbeam. So, alas, the red car will
remain a short car.  When driving a short car at speed everything is
twitchy because a small angular change, say the rear  of the car movers
over a couple of inches or maye the front, then the angular difference
is big compared to a much longer wheel base. As to a Merlin, my local
fellow slat racer also raced P51. He said hardly any of the Merlin
engines from abroad had truly interchangeable parts. They were
essentially custom made. I heard a similar comment on the MIlitary
Channel when the guys were rebuilding a SHerman tank. The mechanics were
commenting on how well the SHerman was designed and built with all
commonparts being interchangeable. The comments were that the brit
equivalent would have no such thing and you would really have to work to
assemble one from scrap parts.

120 inches of manifold pressure, eh...well, not likely in my car! It may
not handl 60 inches. remember those numbers are manifold pressure and
are absolute numbers. So 60 inches of mercury would equate to about 15
psig and 120 would be a heck of a lot more! But what a dream..

mayf