Re: [Tigers] (TRW)

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] (TRW)
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 11:13:19 -0700
Mark,

There are at least two of us on the list that worked for TRW.  That
stands for "Thompson-Ramo-Wooldridge",
later bought by Northrup-Grumman.

TRW was dedicated to helping the Air Force design, develop, an field
inter-continental ballistic defense systems.  In fielding near 1,000
Minuteman ballistic missiles in silos, it deterred aggression from
Soviet Union.  Actually, it was the main driving force in collapsing the
Soviet Union, as we forced them to try to spend money and resources to
"defend" themselves against a perceived threat. They went bankrupt,
ending the cold war, without a shot being fired.

The origin of TRW was the sole result of Howard Hughes _not_ showing up
for meetings with the USAF to take the role of Technical Manager for
Ballistic missiles.  The Generals, tired of traveling to a no-show,
asked Hughes Aircraft representatives, Dr. Simon Ramo, and Dr. Dean
Wooldridge, to start their own company and get this contract.  They did,
and it was originally named Guided Missile Research Division of
Thompson Products (financier  of the organization, and well known as a
high quality OEM supplier of pistons, brakes, steering, etc. to the Auto
Industry.

Thompson later absorbed the "GMRD" unit and changed the name to "TRW".

Bottom line, TRW (including Ramo-Wooldridge asset) was sold to
Northrup-Grumman, and is still going on today, as my retirement check
asserts.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman