Re: [Tigers] You Owe Me!

To: jxnichols@sbcglobal.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] You Owe Me!
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 18:09:58 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/2008 2:49:31 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jxnichols@sbcglobal.net writes:

"No  matter how you look at it, while Shelby owns his name, SAAC has been  the
true steward of the legacy and is owed, big time, by the Shelby family.  "

I don't see it and probably Carroll Shelby  doesn't either.  After all, if it
wasn't for the "Shelby" name on the  Mustang GT350 Mr. Kopec recently sold for
$825,500 , he would have received  far less money for the car.  What do 1965
restored Mustangs sell for,  $30,000?  Apparently, you  believe  everyone
would
have  forgotten the various races and championships Carroll Shelby won with
the
cars he made if it wasn't for Rick Kopec.

There are "Shelby"  Mustangs, Saleen Mustangs and even Parnelli Jones Edition
Mustangs (in my  opinion, the best of the lot) but I have never seen a
"Kopec"
Mustang.  Maybe its time for Rick Kopec to create his own  legend.
No, you don't get it...

How much would a Shelby be worth today if there were a few thousand more
"air cars", built in the '70s and '80s floating around? Thanks to SAAC and
their
authentication program, that hasn't happened. How many more Shelbys would
have  gone to the wreckers over the years, if there wasn't a National club that

fostered enthusiasm and created opportunities to share the joys of Shelby
ownership?  That's not even including SAAC's pioneering work in track days,
which allowed the use of the cars as they were intended...fact is, as soon as
the
racing days were over, Shelby moved right on to other projects and SAAC was
the steward of the Ford Shelby name, whether you want to see it or not. Also,
SAAC is not Kopec, it is the hundreds of folks running the show at a regional
 level and the thousands of members internationally.

I'm not disputing that Shelby had the vision, the energy, the sales skills
and all the other pieces which led to the incredible success of the Cobra and
GT350 (along with a ton of "Total Performance" dollars, of course) or that he,
 in any way, doesn't own the Shelby name and brand. But, what he is doing to
SAAC  is just wrong, in my opinion.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.