Re: [Tigers] Sunbeam Tiger Spec Plate

To: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Sunbeam Tiger Spec Plate
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:28:17 -0700
Tod,

I probably had a typo in my previous memo.  "Spec Plates" was meant to
be "VIN" plates, as the rest refers to. Sorry.

Steve

<-------------------------- reference ------------------->
"It has been rumored that "someone" had a lot of metal *_spec_* plates
reproduced, presumably for repair of original damaged ones. The story
goes that a large number of these plates were stolen, presumably for
nefarious purposes.

In some states it is not legal to use reproduction plates, even if they
are altered to contain the correct information. A state inspection of
the vehicle, and its registration, required, and a NEW STATE NUMBER is
issued for missing ID.

Removing and replacing a VIN plate is allowed by licensed body shops to
repair damaged bodywork. It is difficult to imagine an accident that
would damage the body, but not the plate. Maybe a paint change is
adequate grounds. But "reproductions" are considered as forgeries."
___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com