Re: [Tigers] Nano Cars

To: <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Nano Cars
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:01:11 -0400
For an interesting reference on a modern nano car in the real world, Car
and Drivel a couple issues back took delivery of a Smartcar Twofour in
Phoenix and actual drove it on the interstates and in the mountains.
They got low-30's in mileage, mostly because the car was nearly WFO on
the interstates. Little cars, at least under-powered little cars, are
not the total answer.

I owned a BMW Isetta 300 for a few years, it was powered by a 300 cc
version of the R26 single-cylinder motorcycle engine. It was a joke to
drive anywhere, 13 hp pushing 1100 lbs. is not entertaining in the least
bit (0 to 30 in about 25 seconds). I'll take a Hillman Imp or Morris any
day!

Bugz