[Tigers] Antifreeze

To: CSX2282 <csx2282@sonic.net>, Tiger's Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Antifreeze
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:23:54 -0700
Roland,

A good description of various antifreeze ingredients can be found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

The "distilled" versus "deionized" water can be found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deionized_water

Basically, the difference is:
*
_Distilled wate_r* has virtually all of its impurities removed through
distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the
steam into a clean cup, leaving nearly all of the solid contaminants behind.
Distillation produces very pure water but also leaves behind a leftover white
or yellowish mineral scale, which requires that the *distillation apparatus* be
frequently cleaned.

_*Deionized water*_ which is also known as demineralized water (DI water or
de-ionized water; also spelled deionised water, see spelling differences) is
water that has had its minerals removed, such as cations from sodium, calcium,
iron, copper and anions such as chloride and bromide. Deionization is a
physical process which uses specially-manufactured ion exchange resins which
bind to and filter out the mineral salts from water. Because the majority of
water impurities are dissolved salts, deionization produces a high purity water
that is generally similar to distilled water quickly and without scale buildup.
However, deionization does not significantly remove uncharged organic
molecules, viruses or bacteria, except through "accidental" trapping by the
resin.

_*Distilled or deionized water*_ is preferable to tap water for use in
automotive cooling systems. The minerals and ions typically found in tap water
can be corrosive to internal engine components, and can cause a more rapid
depletion of the anti-corrosion additives found in most antifreeze formulations.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com