Re: [Tigers] Holley Gasket Sealing

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Holley Gasket Sealing
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:50:18 -0700
Hello Steve L:
You are definitely correct on not all gaskets being alike. That was one
of my problems with my last carb take a part. I used an after market
gasket "for" Holley carbs. It turns out the hole for the accelerator
pump vacuum passage does not line up exactly with most of those. I've
noticed that with a couple of off brands of gaskets. The Holley gaskets
line up exactly so be sure that's what you buy, and make sure it's the
one for your specific carb application.

There was another comment about if you install A/C in your Tiger (I
have) and what gas to use. I doubt you will ever get it to blow cold
with the current stuff, 134. You would need a lot bigger condenser and
more airflow across it, two improbable accomplishments with a Tiger. If
you do it, you will have to use R12 freon. You will find that R12 is no
longer as expensive as you think. So few cars still use it that there's
a big stock of old R12 out there. An alternative is a product called
Freeze 12. It's a mix of 134 and something else related to R12. I used
it in a previous version of my Tiger A/C and it worked pretty well, plus
it's cheap and you can buy it without a license, as far as I know. I
would steer away from any "freon" products that contain propane. It's an
excellent refrigerant, but has the added fun possiblity of going
"ka-boom"! (No documented cases that I know of, but not something I'd
want in the Tiger).

The Tiger with the neat Mazda center console A/C set up you're referring
to is probably Tiger Tom's (Tom Erhardt....sorry Tom if I've mis-spelled
it!) from Pennsylvania. That is a very cool installation and looks
exactly like you'd imagine the factory would have done it, if they ever
had. Tom's an engineer and he did a lot of engineering to do what he
did. A beautiful job.

Steve Sage

> Just a quickie. When I needed a gasket to my 4 BBL Holley 465 CFM LAT
> carb, (venturi to throttle plate) there were more than one gasket that
> would "fit".  However, many gaskets look alike, but do not match all
> the connecting passages holes between the throttle plate and the Carb
> body. Same MAY be true for the float bowl gaskets.
>
> Steve L.
>
> ___
> Steve Laifman
> Editor - TigersUnited.com