[Tigers] Water

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Water
From: Peter MacDonald <macdonald49@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:17:19 -0700
As a Chem teacher for many years it was difficult to get the students
to realize that water is not always pH7.0. Wikip was correct, the
high solubility of CO2 is the culprit. The large jug of deionized
water that sat on my counter was usually about pH5.6. All solutions
made with this(which is what we always used) then had to be adjusted
a like amount for expected pH and type of material added.

On a related note, the water supply here in Vancouver is three large
reservoirs up in the local mountains. Currently, there is a new
purification system being constructed which will utilize UV and ozone
instead of Chlorine compounds. They will also be adjusting the output
pH to about 8 which should make things a lot easier on the copper
pipes and solder in the joints and other materials that come into
contact within the water systems.

Peter