[Tigers] Had to abort the drive to Big Bear :>(

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Had to abort the drive to Big Bear :>(
From: "Duke Samouce" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:49:07 -0400
Wow,

Two days a 1200 miles.  Wednesday I made it as far as eastern Colorado and
an altitude of ~4000 feet.

Problem one - my carb was jetted too rich for the altitude.  I believe it is
too rich for sea level and this was multiplied at altitude.  All of my spark
plugs were black when I pulled them when I was forced to stop in CO.  This
is an easy fix and I will be working on getting this carb set up properly.

Problem two - a big one.  By 1300 the temp was in the mid 90's.  I started
to experience bad stumbling at speed due to fuel starvation.  I replaced the
fuel pump and blew out the fuel lines and this did not fix the problem.  I
figured out that the fuel was getting so hot in the line that it was
vaporizing and cause large pockets of gas vapor in the lines which the carb
did not like.  I spent five hours driving back yesterday continuing to
experiencing this vaporization fuel starvation problem (it was up to 98 on
I70).  It stopped once the temps cooled down. So I need to look at
completely modifying the fuel delivery system.  I will be moving the pump
into the spare tire well, install larger lines and have a fuel return system
that will help keep the fuel cooler.  I also think that the line should be
run up behind the engine to the carb and not along the side and in front
which exposes that length of line to high engine compartment temps.

Any thought on this, I know that many of you have experience with this
issue.

Will try again to make TU next year.  I hope it will be closer than 1500
miles too.

Duke