Re: [Tigers] How Far Can a Restoration Go?

To: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] How Far Can a Restoration Go?
From: Chris Thompson <chris@cthompson.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 23:11:53 -0400
My favorite possession is my great grandfather's ax.  We've replaced the
head and handle many times over the generations to keep it like new and
just like when he had it.

I'm at VIR right now with my 1969 Lotus 51c Formula Ford.  More than
likely, it has nothing on it from 1969.  When the tube frame rots out
(Chapman saved weight by running both oil and coolant through the frame
rails), you can get a new frame by sending it to someone who builds a
new one and then destroys the old.  He stamps the old frame number on
the new one, and you're good to go.  The car is registered on the Lotus
Formula Ford Registry and is more than welcome at every vintage racing
event.  Perfectly accepted in this world, as keeping the few cars alive
in any fashion is more important than anything.

We've had this discussion many times in the past.  My Jaguar E-type has
a brand-spanking new VIN plate mounted on it, and the original is in my
safe deposit box.  Perfectly legit in that world, as pretty is more
important than anything. But that car has almost everything from 1962
excepting the VIN plate.

Every marque has it's own concerns.  Obviously, our biggest concern is
Algers, but I don't think we should apply our standards onto other marques.

Chris
B382000331