Re: [Tigers] "Self-Adjusting" rear brakes

To: "'Randy Smith'" <RSSmithIQ@cs.com>, "'Tiger List Serve'"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] "Self-Adjusting" rear brakes
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:45:40 -0400
Randy
        Granted a screw can turn due to vibration but I would expect the
screw to turn in the direction of least resistance which should be out.

I would put a paint mark on the adjuster screws to determine if the screw
are indeed turning or if something else is happening.  You might also be
able to put a nut on the screws to create a jam condition.

There should be enough spring pressure on the shoes to keep the adjuster
screw from moving.  I suspect that the brake cylinder is not free to move
but is creeping and holding as you apply the brakes.   Does your hand brake
work correctly?

The brake cylinder needs to be free to move back and forth on the backing
plate so the hand brake will push both shoes toward the drum.

Check the springs for tension, make sure the brake cylinder can move, grease
the inside of the adjuster and put grease on the backer plate pads that the
shoes touch on.  Basically do a thorough check of the rear brakes.  Also
check to make sure the hand brake cable is releasing and working correctly.

Ron Fraser