Re: [Tigers] Temperature Gauge

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Bill Waite <fordlandia@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Temperature Gauge
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:00:08 -0400
   Hi Bill:
   I would recommend that you read Stu Brennan's article in the Tech Tips
   section of Tigers United at
   http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp
     Stu does an excellent
   job of explaining how the Tiger gauges work and gives some good advice
   on checking them out.
   The  temp  and  fuel  gauges  work by varying their resistance, as Stu
   points out.  A higher resistance
   yields  a  lower reading on the gauge.  If your gauge is reading high,
   it may be because it is out of
   calibration.   One way of correcting this, that I have used, is to add
   some extra resistance in series
   with  the  gauge.  In my case, I had an extra variable resistor laying
   around which I placed in series
   with  the  gauge and adjusted until I got the correct reading.  As you
   already have an IR thermometer,
   you  can  use  it  to read the temp when the thermostat opens and then
   adjust the variable resistor
   (sometimes  called a potentiometer or "pot" for short) until the gauge
   reads the same as the IR
   thermometer.   Then  take  a multimeter and read the resistance of the
   pot.  Go to your local
   Radio Shack and buy a fixed resistor with a value as close as possible
   to your resistance
   reading  on  the meter and replace the pot with the fixed resistor.  A
   resistor with a power rating
   of 5 watts or more would probably be the right size.
   There are other possible reasons why the gauge is reading high, like a
   bad ground (the cause of about
   90%  of all electrical problems in Lucas systems, IMHO), a bad voltage
   stabilizer or a bad sender which
   all  should  be checked out as well.  If, however, the gauge turns out
   to be out of calibration, you can
   send  it  out  to  have  it repaired or you can use the cheap solution
   outlined above.
   Cheers,
   Tod
   B382002384LRXFE