Re: [Tigers] Re ALGER ??

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>, <sralsten@ca.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Re ALGER ??
From: "Jim" <jim@island.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 16:17:54 -0700
My 2 cents...
The spec plate rivets aren't real...and after B382001200...there shouldn't
BE rivets ( or holes for them ) let alone a spec plate..! No Mk1A's came
with a plate and only the first 1200 had rivets in the holes that someone
forgot to stop drilling...! lol!
The VIN plate rivets look a little 'more' real as the inside hole is a
little smaller...but I think 'original's' have a little smaller hole yet...
Having said that...the plate itself actually looks good to me...

I've studied a lot of pics of them ... it would seem that the VIN plates
weren't stamped with ALL the #'s at the same time...You can see 2 different
letter styles on most of them. It looks like they maybe put B382000   LRXFE
and on the later ones... B382001   LRXFE on and filled in the actual # and
colour code later.. you can see it on that car with '1541' as the first '1'
is a different style than the last '1' ...this seems pretty typical... I've
also noticed that there is a little extra space between the 'F" and the 'E'
if you look real close...This is consistent with most that I've seen ..
There's a bunch of other little nuances but for what it's worth...I'd say
it's a real plate...where it came from ...who knows...

Now that we've scrutinized that part of the car to death...what's next...??
LOL!!

BTW, my car has a bogus VIN plate (and original rivets in the spec plate
holes)...but the rest of the #'s match ...and it's 'TAC'ed' ...so I do sleep
at night... lol!!

Jim
B382000446