[Tigers] Tiger newbie question

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Tiger newbie question
From: <sralsten@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:38:31 -0400
I've been looking for a good car in a price I can afford for a couple months
now. I've got a question for you pros....

I've learned a common spot to find frame rust problems is at the exhaust pass
throughs. I have seen something there that I don't quite understand and I hope
I can explain it well enough to get an answer. I believe I read on this list
that it is normal to find a small lip all around the oval shape frame opening
that the exhaust passes through. If the lip is gone it indicates a replacement
or repair. True ?

I have seen pictures of this area on a couple cars that showed something that I
thought was a repair but maybe I was wrong. I'm not sure what the factory
original should look like. I've noticed that there appears to be welds holding
an 8 inch or so piece of frame that has the pass through cut in the midst of
it. Sometimes it appears to be thicker than the rest of the cross member or
even a different coloration (maybe holding road grime differently ?)

Is this "thickening" of a cross member at the exhaust through a repair or is
that the factory ? What really confused me on this as well as my newness was
the fact that the last pictures I got of a car for sale had the thicker area
with appearence of welds hidden below the grime, but it also had the small lip
around the pipe opening. Maybe I've been dismissing a factory correct condition
as a repair ? Please straighten me out. If my description is not clear enough I
can try to find a way to show a picture.

Thanks

Steve