[Tigers] Alger ?? Tiger ???

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Alger ?? Tiger ???
From: <sralsten@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:06:58 -0400
Although I am still reading, looking at cars and shopping for a car. This whole
issue
of Algers/TAC is nearly enough to drive one away from interest in the marque
and probably has driven many away. If I spend $40K for an E type there is no
doubt at all that it is one. Condition and correctness vary but it's certainly
not a converted MGB. If I spend $40K on a Tiger its not the same. Then if you
add to that the modifications that people make to their "real" Tigers it gets
almost comical.
I was at Tigers United 31 to see cars and meet owners. I had a great time and
learned a bunch. What I found very interesting was at concours day there was
literally a handful of cars competeing in the stock category and one of those
was a mismatch of Mk1 and Mk2 parts. The vast majority or cars were "modded" or
"personalized" (I don't really understand the difference)

How can the Tiger owners as a group be so concerned about authenticity  when so
few leave their cars stock ? How can putting a 260 in an Alpine be such a big
deal when people buy "real" Tigers and change them beyond all recognition ?
How does it remain a "real" Tiger with 4 wheel discs, 5 spd, 302, AC, non stock
paint, non stock wheels, alternator etc etc etc ?

Now I don't want to make a bunch of enimies with this but the post I respond to
asked for thoughts. Mine are from someone with only months of Tiger knowledge
who wants badly to own a car but does not yet. As said I find the
"correctness/modification" issue to be quite off-putting.

Steve Ralsten

IMHO I think we should use our knowledge to check out cars with an open
mind and not shoot form the hip as soon as a non expert description is
discovered. There are a lot of owners outside of this group, its not the
easiest to find these days for a new owner.

Don't get me wrong, Fraudsters are best confirmed, lined up then shot
square between the cats eyes - just above the grille centre badge !
(alternatively, facilities permitting, dropped into the Tiger pen at the
local zoo)  :-)

Maybe an open offer of authentication from the CAT / STOA / STOC  etc
website could be used as a way of welcoming Tiger owners / Sellers.

A first impression of - Challenge, doubt and conjecture put off
potential owners and enthusiasts as well as fraudsters.

Any thoughts ?

regards.

Jeff