Re: [Tigers] Alternator conversion

To: <vegaslegal@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Alternator conversion
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:23:32 -0400
Bob
        I don't know enough about the replica generator or it's wiring to
tell if it is a plug in.   If it has regulated voltage out it might be.
Install instructions and a schematic should show that.

        A generator usually needs a rebuild or at least new brushes every
30k to 40k miles, an alternator 80k or more miles before a rebuild.   I have
had alternators still running strong at over 120k miles with no rebuild.
Alternators, I believe, have better voltage and amperage output throughout
the RPM range with better reliability.

        The generator, regulator system in my Tiger always gave me problems.
I learned to live with those problems but I was always thinking about
converting to an alternator.   I read a number of the conversion tips but I
never liked the way the wires got bundled up at the regulator position.
One day it dawned on me that if I could take the voltage regulator and make
it into a simple junction box and that would clean up the wires.  I also
found a one wire conversion regulator that mounts to the back of an older
style Ford alternator from AMK Products and I had all the parts to make a
clean conversion.  I did make my own bracket for the alternator but
alternative brackets can be found.

My total expenditure for my conversion was just slightly more than the $75
it cost for my last generator rebuild.

Much happier now with the alternator.

Ron Fraser