Re: [Tigers] Interior Insulation...Aluminum Dash

To: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>, Tigers Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Interior Insulation...Aluminum Dash
From: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:56:43 -0400
Dave,
Thanks.

I refaced the gauges myself to match the stock Jaeger Instruments. The
voltmeter is new and made by Sun, the clock is also new and is an Autometer,
and the vac gauge was (a $5 Ebay purchase) made by AC Delco in the 60s. I have
a 7K Alpine tachometer converted for 8 cylinder use, currently being redone
(in pieces on my desk) which will replace the stock Tiger unit.

The dash story is...

I bought a wood dash from guy who said it was re-veneered and all it needed
was to be stained (trust me, he said). The veneer was real cheap looking with
a seam running down the middle lengthwise, and was lifting. It was a piece of
crap (the back side is splitting apart also) but restorable with enough
effort.

I figure it will be a several years before I get around to doing the exterior
bodywork and paint, so why redo the wood dash and put it in the car if the
rest of the interior will not be installed?

To make a long story short...I am going with the "boy racer look" for the next
3 or 4 years...minimal interior (no carpet, no dash pad, no door
panels)...Aluminum dash...Motolita wheel...roll bar...racing seat
belts...etc...

Did you see my custom racing seat covers? They should cut a few seconds off my
lap/quarter mile times...LOL
http://www.breuhan.com/sunbeam/seatcovers.jpg

The dash is Aluminum bought from a local metal supermarket, the gauge
positions are pretty close to stock in postion. After cutting out all my holes
I took a Scotchbrite pad and tried to rub up and down in a vertical direction.
Then I sprayed a clear coat over the top, the clear does tone down the
aluminum and gives a bit of a stainless look.

I thought about "engine turning" the whole thing, but I don't have the time to
learn that skill since I hope to drive my Tiger to the TEAE United in
October.

An aluminum dash is the type of modification that's not permanent, so that
works for me at this point in time.

Paul

> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:19:53 -0300> From: dave@munroe.ca> Subject: Re:
[Tigers] Interior Insulation> To: prbreuhan@hotmail.com;
tigers@autox.team.net> > Paul;> > I'm sure you don't need to hear this from
me, but wow! you are doing a real > nice job on your car.> > I particularly
like your dash and gauge layout, with the voltmeter replacing > the ammeter,
and the addition of the vacuum gauge.> > Might I ask what the story is on your
non-wooden dash material ( aluminum? > stainless?)? Is your car already so
non-stock that you> feel free to install other materials you like better?> >
Lovely...> > Dave
Be the filmmaker you always wanted to belearn how to burn a DVD with
Windows..
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108588797/direct/01/