[Tigers] Calif DMV YOM law

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Calif DMV YOM law
From: "Steve Ralsten" <sralsten@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 13:59:54 -0800
As I was investigating plate choices for my car I stumbled on some info.
Calif has been allowing use of vintage plates on a car that did not
originally
come with said vintage plates up until model year 1962. It's
called the YOM or year of manufacture provision. If you purchased
a 1932 Ford from a private party that is currently wearing modern
white Calif plates you are allowed to search for original 1932 plates
and register the car with those proper year plates (YOM).
The catch is the plates MUST be year of manufacture. You can't
put 1953 or 1942 or even 1931 plates on a 1932 year car.

Anyway the law is extended as of July 1st 2009 to allow the same
for model year 1963-1969 cars. Tiger owners that choose to
can dress their cars in proper black calif plates even if they were not
on the car when purchased. You just have to find the proper year plate
with the proper sticker and head to the DMV (after 7/1/2009)

Steve