Re: [Tigers] Pertronix Caution - Ballast Resistor

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>, geowiz.sgy@cox.net,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Pertronix Caution - Ballast Resistor
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:25:43 -0400
   Thanks,  Steve.   My  answer  was incomplete in that I did not clarify
   that  you  do  have  to  change the coil as well, which is what I have
   done.   I  had been running a Pertronix I in place of the points in my
   distributor  for several years along with the ballast resistor and the
   original coil.  This spring, when I first took the Tiger out, I pulled
   into  the  garage and lifted the bonnet to check something and noticed
   that  the  coil bracket was broken.  I decided to replace the coil and
   the  bracket  at that point since it was getting pretty old.  I called
   Pertronix to get their recommendation for a coil and asked if I needed
   to continue to use the ballast resistor and they told me that it would
   work  either  way  with the new coil, so I removed it.  As I said, one
   less thing to break.  I should have made it clear that you have to run
   a 12v coil.
   Tod
   B382002384LRXFE
   Steve Laifman wrote:

     Tod and Tigers,
     US  coils,  in  the era, used 9 volt primaries on the coil.  In the
     "start"  position  the  ignition  switches  powers the coil with 12
     volts,  and  the  "run"  position  directs  the voltage through the
     dropping  resistor  to  9  volts.   British  electrics were 12 VDC,
     throughout.
     (See  Bill  Gegg's  COLOR  wiring  diagram(s)  in the Online Rootes
     Workshop Manual, Electrical Equipment:
     http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/wsm/wsmN35.asp
     Subsequent pages show the Mk IA, and Mk II diagrams.
     Unless  you  changed  the  coil to one that runs continuously on 12
     Volts, you will damage the coil.
     The  Pertronix  (I or II) j switches the voltage through the points
     to  the  coil,  and  is suitable for either 9 or 12 Primary VDC, it
     does  not switch the coil's high voltage output, of course. That is
     the job of the rotor and cap.
     If one wants to run a 12 volt coil, you must buy one rated for that
     input voltage.  Available as "high performance 12 VDC coil".
     The Pertonix "Flame Thrower II is a good choice.
     http://pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/coils/45000_volt.aspx
     Steve
     ___
     Steve Laifman
     Editor - TigersUnited.com
     Tod Brown wrote:

        Jim:

     With respect to the ballast resistor, unless you are into

        -- you can do away with it altogether if you are running a
        Pertronix ignition.  One less piece to go bad.
        Tod
        B382002384LRXFE