Re: [Tigers] Success!! ...and Filling a Tiger's Cooling System

To: <rfraser@bluefrog.com>, Tigers Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Success!! ...and Filling a Tiger's Cooling System
From: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:43:24 -0500
Ron,
I thought a catch can was good idea also, so I made up an aluminum bracket to
hold a smaller Tudor washer bottle/cage near the radiator.

I am using a chrome Ford SMCO radiator cap I bought from National Part Depot
with a sacrificial anode (I don't recall the psi rating offhand).

I also wondered if I could see anything (coolant) when removing temperature
sensor (gauge not working anyways) from the intake manifold?

Paul

> From: rfraser@bluefrog.com> To: prbreuhan@hotmail.com;
tigers@autox.team.net> Subject: RE: [Tigers] Success!! ...and Filling a
Tiger's Cooling System> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:19:33 -0500> > Paul>
Congratulations on your newly running ride.> > Sounds like you have the right
method for filling the cooling system just> keep watching it.> > You could put
in a catch can for the overflow tube; something I recommend> everyone do and
then put coolant in the catch can until it is no longer> sucked into the
system.> > Lots of people will say that won't work unless you change the
radiator cap;> well I have been running a stock cap with a catch can for about
20 years and> it works just fine. My stock fill tank is about half full cold.>
> Ron Fraser> > -----Original Message-----> From:
tigers-bounces@autox.team.net [mailto:tigers-bounces@autox.team.net]> On
Behalf Of Paul R. Breuhan> Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:41 PM> To:
Tigers Den> Subject: [Tigers] Success!! ...and Filling a Tiger's Cooling
System> > > Well Gang,> Last Wednesday I finally started my Tiger up after 4
years!> > It cranked over and fired up the first time much to my relief (after
fixing> a couple fuel leaks, and a bound up acceleration pump). I ran it for a
bit> to get the timing and carb in better tune. Everything seemed to be okay.>
> On Thursday I was able to leave work a bit early and took my car for a>
journey of about a mile in my neighborhood before the darkness hit. It was a>
relief that mechanically things worked well (laid some rubber much to my>
neighbors' delight), and the motor sounded strong. I do have a number of>
small issues with the stock gauges to look at (temperature gauge not> working,
fuel gauge reads high) but everything seems to be a go.> > Now my question???>
> This may seem silly but how you fill your cooling system and know that is>
all the way filled? I don't want any trapped air pockets.> > The Factory Shop
Manual says the factory cooling system holds about 16> quarts.> > I am using a
Griffin aluminum radiator and an aluminum fill tank from Dale's> Resto...but
NO heater core (or hoses that go to it)...and I have about 13> quarts in the
system. So maybe that's all it will hold?> > Initially I slowly filled the
tank and got about 11-12 quarts in. It sat for> a couple weeks and naturally
went down a bit, so I topped it off. Then after> running the car it went down
again, so I was able to add some more...about> another quart or so worth.> >
Now maybe my system holds less than a stock system but I want to make sure>
the car is properly filled...so any advice is certainly welcome.> > Thanks in
advance,> Paul