[Tigers] Side Out Headers

To: "Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Side Out Headers
From: "Bob Hokanson" <tgrrr@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:43:04 -0800
Bought a set of Bellanger headers with the side out exhaust routing and
block-off plates on the collectors about 30 yrs ago.  Learned the importance
of proper brake line routing at my first hillclimb.
At Mary's Peak when you came off the start you had an uphill run of about
1/4 mile before the first major turn... a hairpin switch back.
On my first run with the headers uncapped and under full throttle the
exhaust was blowing back on the brake line which quickly boiled the fluid
rendering the brakes near useless, a point which I discovered only shortly
before the hairpin. By downshifting, I scrubbed off enough speed to make it
through the turn without crashing and aborted the run.
So if you're going to run the side outs uncapped, take a good look at where
your brake line runs.
A few years later at the same hill I wasn't as fortunate and crashed the car
badly due to a stock sway bar mount failing in the middle of a corner... but
that's another story.

Bob H