[Tigers] More Toploader discussion - basic orientation - Tiger and

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] More Toploader discussion - basic orientation - Tiger and
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:13:24 -0600
Friends, If anyone would be gracious enough to help me with a fundamental
background on this subject..... I need some more basic orientation on early
Ford transmissions....Here is why -  I have a decent understanding of late
model Borgwarner T5's, Tremec TKO's, 3550, 3650's, 500 and 600's....and the
like because of experience with late model performance fords...and due to my
generation, this is about all we know. I have a World Class T5 in my Tiger, or
at least I'm in the process of doing the swap....I also have a WC BW T5 in my
late model Mustang...and I've had a Tremec in a late model mustang.....

Here is the issue.... I've never had any experience with a Top loaders,
Muncie's, Saginaw's, T10's, Super T10's, Richmond's, Doug Nash's....etc. I
need someone to point me in the right direction...and this application is
actually for a 351W in a Shelby Cobra Replica. My motor is in the shop, it
should put out about 450 horse, and I need to select a tranny. It will be a
street car, but I certainly want it to hold together, but I'm also on a budget
like most people....or at least its a consideration.

I'm looking for a period correct style transmission that will handle the abuse
of a street car Replica Cobra, turning an occasional 6500 rpm, with the
external mounted Hurst shifter much like what you have been discussing. My
problem is I don't know the difference in the aforementioned
transmissions...or the preferred approach. Dan Williams obviously pushes the
Ford OEM style (?) Top loader, but I have some people tell me a Super T10 is
the way to go, or a Doug Nash Richmond 4 Speed....or a Richmond 5 speed..I
wouldn't know one if I saw one!! And sometimes I see a " Richmond T10" and
sometimes I see a "BorgWarner T10" for sale on the net....sometimes for GM,
Sometimes for Ford....what's the difference? Splines? For example, ebay item
number "220341785185" is for a Richmond SuperT10 with a Hurst Shifter, and its
probably in my price range....and here is another one: "160308286133" for a
BorgWarner for a GM application.....Im lost!

If anyone has the time to give me some background here, on a broader level to
kick-start my knowledge base, I would greatly appreciate it....

Thanks in advance...
Cullen