Re: [Tigers] T5 Transmission

To: "'Brock C Tella'" <brockctella@juno.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] T5 Transmission
From: "A. C. Tynes" <v8tracker@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:04:52 -0600
Brock,

There is a top plate in which the shifter mechanism is housed. There should
be a gasket or bead of sealer between it and the transmission case which
could be leaking. I would guess that there is a good bit of ATF
splashed/flung by the gears to the top of the case. If the gasket was
crimped or the sealer spread unevenly, this could be seeping through as it
runs back down, even if the trans was not overfilled.

Have you tried taking the filler plug out to check the level? You should be
able to use a turkey baster (maybe with a rubber hose attached to the end)
to remove as much of the fluid as you want. I advise giving your wife a new
one first and using the old one, rather than buying and using a new one.
Don't ask how I know.

There is also the old story of synthetics always finding the leaks. If you
are using synthetic, you could try dino ATF as a last resort.

HTH,
A. C. Tynes
New Orleans