[Tigers] Dana 44/Salisbury

To: <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Dana 44/Salisbury
From: "Shaun Laughy" <tigerv8@rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:43:11 -0400
Hi, folks.

I know there has been discussion on the differences between the original
Salisbury diff and the Dana 44, and I have conducted a search, but I
can't find the specific answer I am looking for.  My apologies if this
is a repeat.

Currently, my Tiger has 3.31 gears with LSD, and a wide-ratio Toploader.
Things are just a bit too busy at local highway speeds, so I would like
to bring the revs down a notch or two.  Ideally, I would like to return
to 2.88s, but these are no longer available new, and I would prefer not
to go with used gears.  As a result, I am planning on switching to
3.07s, and am pretty confident that I will be satisfied with the
results.  Now to my question:

>From what I understand, the current gears and LSD are standard Dana 44,
so I assume that they must have been adapted to the Salisbury diff.  I
recall reading that there are minor differences in bolt sizes, and that
there are stepped bolts to overcome the differences, but what I don't
know is under which circumstances these special bolts are required.  I
would assume that the new 3.07s will just swap directly into place of
the 3.31s, but I would like the shop to replace the bolts at the same
time, and they want to have them ordered in advance, particularly if
they are special and may take some time to order in.  Can anyone tell me
whether or not I will need these and, if so, where I can get them?

Thanks,
Shaun