[Tigers] 3D printer Z-Corporation

To: "Tiger News Group List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] 3D printer Z-Corporation
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.Ronak@akzonobel.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 00:54:44 -0400
Guys,

I have seen this system for several years and it is in use for rapid
prototyping. It is functionally an inkjet printer printing into a layer
of catalyzing Powder. The cool part is that it can manufacture complex
assemblies like bearings and differential assemblies. I actually have a
'rainbow' colored ford 9 inch axle bearing at home that spins and runs
with the balls and race and outer ring. It was printed in one setting at
Sema two years ago and the guy gave me one. The material is too soft to
be useful at this point and the rpinter from Z-Corporation was $250K and
was intended to create prototypes for investment or to test CAD designs.
Many people want to hold the item (or a real model) before investing it
seems. The way it does the assembly is that it layers the components and
simply does not harden the powder were clearance should be. The item is
manufactured and all of the non hardened powder is shaken out and you
have a working model.

Very cool but at this point no one will be making pieces for our cars as
the material needs a clearcoat (protective coating) to keep it from
wearing or oxidizing but my bearing has amazed many people and still
spins just fine with no signs of wear. It would not stand up to any type
of severe load and is very brittle.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak

Services Consultant

Akzo Nobel Coatings, Inc.

23961 Via El Rocio

Mission Viejo,  CA 92691

PH: 949-305-5393

Cell: 949-289-3357

FX: 425-955-6268

Email: timothy.ronak@crna.akzonobel.com
<mailto:timothy.ronak@crna.akzonobel.com>

Personal Email: timronak@cox.net <mailto:timronak@cox.net>

If you received this message in error please inform the sender and
delete the message.