Re: [Tigers] Gasket

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gasket
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:02:30 -0600
It would be pretty tough to avoid exhaust leaks with no gasket of any
sort. Ideally, part of the machine work done on a head rebuild includes
refacing the exhaust ports so they're all level with respect to each
other, and then you do the same to the exhaust manifolds. A reasonable
substitute is to at least check the flange for straightness, and to use
a (straight) file to ensure any glaze and rust is removed from the port
flange. Exhaust manifold gaskets are usually an asbestos (or suitable
non-carcinogenic substitute) material around a perforated metal core,
with stainless reinforcing rings around the port holes. At least, that's
what good gasket makers such as Fel-pro do. I've also seen some pretty
cheesy ones from the discount gasket makers.

The worst headers I've seen had up to 1/8" warp from one exhaust port to
the next... About the only thing you can do with those is to bolt them
up to a spare head (without a gasket) and then heat the tubing bends
cherry red to re-set them in the right place. If you don't do that then
a gasket might seal them for the first few miles, but you'll have leaks
soon after.

Cheers,
Theo