Re: [Tigers] valve cover baffles

To: <Paul.Tonizzo@sybase.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] valve cover baffles
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:04:00 -0600
Hi Paul,
According to what others have said, it's not a significant problem. I
suspect that if an engine had a lot of blowby and/or the PCV system
wasn't working then there might be an issue. The valve covers were
originally designed for the old-school pushrods and rockers, and the
Ford engines were just out of the draft-tube crankcase ventilation era.
It might be that current engine technology manages the oil spray in the
valve train area a little better.

I currently have an aftermarket breather cap on the left side (it's not
connected to the air cleaner assembly) that just has the vent holes on
the underside and some kind of foam baffle inside it. We'll see if it
turns out to be an issue.

Theo