[Tigers] Original engine? - Maybe, Maybe Not

To: <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Original engine? - Maybe, Maybe Not
From: "J. Nichols" <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 20:33:19 -0400
"I've got a number matching Mk IA, but the original valve covers are hiding a
5-bolt 289.  Stashed in the corner of my storage room is what is purported by
the PO to be the original 260 engine.  I don't see any numbers on the block
that would confirm the likelihood of this.  Any way to determine if this is
likely to be the original engine (and potentially something of value), or am
just storing a useless anchor?  Thanks."

There are no  "numbers" matching with engine and chassis like you find with
some collector cars.  Old  Corvette owners  are big into engine numbers
matching VIN numbers.  I guess the VIN incorporates the engine number or vice
versa. I never owned a Corvette but I see adds that say "numbers matching" and
that means you will pay more for the car because of the original engine.

You can check the casting date located behind the starter or the assembly date
stamped by the water pump on the drivers side to see if it falls in the
correct range for your car build date. And for that you need the BON.   My car
was built in October 1964 and the engine build date is 5A18F (January 18,
1965).  I would expect a engine assembly date earlier in 1964 if my car had
the original engine.  So it seems someone replaced the motor in my car and I'm
in the process of replacing that motor with a freshly rebuilt one.

               Jeff