Re: [Tigers] My newest favorite car website (off topic)

To: "Buck Trippel" <BuckTrippel@Verizon.net>, "michael king"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] My newest favorite car website (off topic)
From: "Mike Michels" <mmichels@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:10:58 -0700
Scooter drove his car again at the Monterey Historics last summer. His car
is now owned by Toyota dealer Craig Zinn. Scooter was joined by Timo Glock
in the Fangio/Jones Gurney Eagle Mk III GTP car, motoGP legend  Eddie Lawson
in the ex Chris Cord/Willy T Ribbs IMSA GTO Celica, and Chuck Wade, who runs
the Toyota Motorsports Shop, in Gurney's first Toyota effort which was an
IMSA GTU Celica.

I was lucky enough to be part of it. The drivers had no familiarization or
warmup opportunities before demo hot laps for the crowd. I can tell you that
these otherwise fearless guys were nervous as can be, praying not to screw
up, especially the Turbo cars which have throttle behavior akin to an on-off
switch. Scooter actually did spin but no harm done.

Everyone had a blast and I'm not sure who had more fun, the drivers or the
owners of the historic cars who got to see them at speed again. We have
several 2000GTs in the Toyota historic car collection in Torrance and
occasionally get them on the road for special occasions. Nice to see
everyone's interest in this rare car.

Here are some YouTube clips from some fans at the track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA8B_Blw0GE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acn-Q5A-63A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acn-Q5A-63A&feature=related