Re: [Tigers] Intake manifold....carb boil.

To: "Samouce's" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Intake manifold....carb boil.
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:30:03 -0600
Hi Duke,
This 10-year-old thread
http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/tech_threads/tt-fuelsys.asp#Intake%
20Manifolds
Has intake manifold dimensions as well as the advertised RPM range for
the manifolds in question. There is also some discussion about
performance - the Performer is rated as being not-as-good as the F4B at
higher RPM, but that may not matter if the rest of your engine will not
support 5500+ RPM.

You could try an aluminum spacer plate that fits between the intake
manifold and carb, and acts to shield the float bowls from the direct
heat of the engine. http://www.holley.com/108-70.asp
This might work on your existing setup without any stackup issues
because the addition of the shield and one gasket shouldn't add more
than about 1/8"...

If you use an aftermarket fuel pump with a recirculation line from the
regulator then you'll do two things - the fuel gets to cool down on the
way back to the tank and you're constantly moving cooler fuel towards
the carb, which is a good thing, but you can also increase the fuel
pressure slightly over what the stock pump provides. If you go too high
then you'll be prone to flooding under dynamic conditions because the
needle valve will exert extra pressure on the floats. Lowering the float
level slightly would help here.

Make sure you start out with no crud in the needle and seat assembly. If
there is any gunk caught in the needle and seat then you'll be
flood-prone all the time. Did your car have any flooding issues at the
autocross, in corners or during braking?

Cheers,
Theo