[Tigers] Soft Top Replacement Questions

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Soft Top Replacement Questions
From: Bill Waite <fordlandia@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 17:10:44 -0700 (PDT)
Tiger Listers:

I'm finally getting around to installing a soft top on my Mark II Tiger.  I
purchased the top and associated hardware from Sunbeam Specialties.  Having a
good time doing the restoration, which has included bead blasting the soft top
frame and having it powder coated (Tiger Drylac RAL-7001 Light Gray).  I am
documenting every step of this process, as I find that no one seems to have
done that for the entire project (e.g. dis-assembly of the old frame through
installation of the top).

As you all probably know, there are differences between the early (Tiger Mark
I) top and the later Tigers (e.g. my Mark II).  I am wanting some feedback on
one item, however.

My Mark I Tiger's soft top frame has three (3) "belts" that affix by rivets to
the rear most "hoop" on the frame and extend all the way to the front soft top
metal "bar" that attaches to the front widnshield area (for lack of a better
term).  I use the term "belts" because the fabric is not unlike that used for
seat belts.  These three belts more or less tie the front soft top metal piece
to the middle and rear frame "hoops."

But... on my Mark II, their is just one such "belt" (and a short one at
that).  It mearly ties the rear most (fixed) hoop with the middle (movable)
hoop.  This belt does not extend to the to the front metal frame "bar" and the
outer two belts are not part of the design.

Because my Mark II was missing a soft top (have a hardtop) except for the
frame when I purchased it in 1978... I am questioning if this apparent
difference between the Mark I and the Mark II is correct.  Seems to me that
the Mark I design (with the three "belts") is a better design: providing more
support for the soft top and "tieing" everything together better.

Any of you guys care to comment on the Mark I versus Mark II differences in
the soft top frame hardware (specifically the "support belts")?  Is the
difference I'm describing "accurate" and if so, why did they drop the extra
suport straps?

Thanks,

Bill Waite
Garnd Rapids, MI