Re: [Tigers] Tiger overheating

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Kirk Smith <twotigers@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger overheating
From: <e.coiner@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 14:44:15 -0700
My Tiger overheating experience is directly opposite of the hypothesis proposed
below.

I have told this story to the list several times about 3 years ago so I will
deliver the Reader's Digest Version today.

Purchased the Tiger in Oct 2001. I immediately experienced overheating trouble.
It would puke coolant on the garage floor after drives, it would peg the needle
on the gauge when driving up steep hils at speed. The needle would climb when
sitting in traffic.

I replaced a blown head gasket.
I replaced the radiator with the one Rob Guerra sells.
I installed a Derale aluminum rigid blade fan that moves a huge amount of air.
(I have a fiberglass LAT hood, If I rev the engine the corners of the hood will
flex up to let the air out!!!)
I installed horn blockoff plates and the air scoop that Steve Laifman
documented on the Tigers United website.

At this point the car no longer puked coolant after a drive, but  the temps
would rise out of control when climbing steep hills or driving fast.  The
faster I drove, the hotter the car ran.

I made one last change.  I replaced the Ford water pump with an Edelbrock High
flow pump.

Since that change the Tiger has never overheated.  It runs at 190-200 on the
freeway, climbing hills and sitting at idle.

One hot summer day I started the car in the garage (door open!) and let it idle
for 1 hour.  The air temp in the garage was 104F the water temp was 205 F.  and
stable.
Added a thermocouple to a port on the drivers side tank of the radiator so I
know my temps are accurate.

Erich