[Tigers] Soft top replacemet question and answer.

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Soft top replacemet question and answer.
From: "J. Nichols" <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 21:14:47 -0400
"I sourced my shock strap at the local fabric store where they stocked  the
almost identical rubber strap used in furniture.  But it was not black
like my
original.  Nothing some fabric dye couldn't fix."

   If I were to redo the top on my three strap MK 1 top, I would definitely
use the stretchy kind of strap. Rootes did it that way so you have some play
in the bows when putting up the top.  If one or more of the  straps is a
little short  or slightly uneven in length they can stretch to make up the
difference.    Instead of the springy straps, I used black seat belts and I
had a problem because they would not stretch.  If all three straps were not
exactly the same length,  one or more would droop.  Or if  one was a little
short then you couldn't make the header rail meet the windshield frame.  I
could see why Rootes used the stretchy kind.    The straps on my top looked to
be original (still springy after 40+ years) and were an off white color not
black.  I guess the later cars have one strap for cost saving.

                                  Jeff