Re: [Tigers] Easy out removal

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Easy out removal
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:24:01 -0700
Jim,
 Not knowing how big the bolt is, or how deep the "easy out" is this may or
may not work.  I have used a Dremel with the thin cut off wheel.  I use it
to cut a slot and then using a blade screwdriver had "some" success in
removing such items. You can try this to just remove the "easy out," or.....

  Even if you get the "easy out" removed you still have the remaining bolt
to contend with.  So, it might be better to try and remove both, together,
with a bigger, deeper slot.

  Either method is limited by the depth you can cut the slot and not ruin
the surrounding metal.  Also remember because the wheel is round the ends
will not be as deep. You might opt to use a "sacrificial" screwdriver
grinding the end to fit the slot as tight as possible. No guarantee's but it
is worth a try.

FYI to all: I have used needle nose pliers with some success to remove
broken taps.  Here again a "sacrificial" pair works best.  Grind them to fit
as deep as possible in the flutes. Then using  something to apply torque
(vise grips, pipe wrench) try twisting  it out.
The need for these "sacrificial" tools makes Harbor Freight a viable option.
Tom