[Tigers] Roller 289

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Roller 289
From: Jeffrey Nichols <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 06:24:49 -0700 (PDT)
"He is wondering if he can use the roller cam/follower kits on this block, or
if you have to modify it to mount them? Is anyone running a 289 5 bolt with
a roller setup? If so what type and did you have to do any mods?"

I installed a Comp Cams roller  kit in a 260 with no problems.  You have to be
careful when
mounting the spider that holds the dog bones for the lifters.  Drill very
carefully and use loctite to hold the bolts for the spider.  If you drill too
far you  can hit the cam or cam bearings.  The only other thing to consider is
the gear on the distributor.  With some cams you have to change the gear
because the cam is hardened more than a stock cam and chews up the gear.  The
Comp cam I used didn't require changing the gear.

                                         Jeff