Re: [Tigers] Overdrive toploader

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Overdrive toploader
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:18:52 -0700
A.C.
Yes, this has come up a time or two.  Basically the reply was "don't do it."
You are correct the spread between 2nd to 3rd gear is quite large.
There is another "Overdrive" with 3.07 1st, 1.72 2nd, 1.00 3rd, 0.70 4th,
and 3.07 Rev.. ratios. Again, I hear the same comments not to use it.

There is another tranny out there that I have been seaching for for years.
It is the Jeep Toploader T-178 (1980-86), 275 HP rating.
It has the following ratios:  3.01 1st, 2.08 2nd, 1.47 3rd, 1.00 4th and
3.01 Rev.

Those gear ratios, coupled with TALLER tires, effectively makes for a
equivanent overdrive (compared to a standard tire size), but with an
effective 1st gear ratio equivilant to a wide ratio Toploader (again,
because of the taller tires).  Call it a "W-i-d-e-r Ratio" Toploader, but it
isn't a "G-A-P Ratio" Toploader like the Overdrives.

In the end you get about the 1st gear ratio of a wide ratio Toploader, a bit
more spread (but and even spread as opposed to the gap in the overdrive)
between gears and the effect of an overdrive.

8 years looking in Pick A Part and I only ever found one T-17(X) tranny.
But it had rock crawler gears because it was a T-176 or a T-177, not the
T-178 I want.  The search continues.
Tom