Re: [Tigers] overdrive toploaders (more)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] overdrive toploaders (more)
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:56:34 -0700
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

>>>I wonder what kind of weight savings you get with the aluminum case?<<<

I think if you run the aluminum case it has the wide mounting ears only.
And if you are running a 260 or early 289 the stock bellhousing (5 bolt)
will only accept the narrow ears.  Thus, you need to find a special unibolt
(5/6 bolt) bellhousing that is only available in cast iron (?).
 It could leaves you with the option of either and aluminum case and a cast
iron bellhousing, or a cast iron case and an aluminum bellhousing. If you
run a later 289 or a 302 it shouldn't be a problem.
My understand is that the gears are all swappable between any case.

Going from memory here so please correct if needed.
Tom