[Tigers] FW: 289 heads

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] FW: 289 heads
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:02:34 -0500
resending, this email might have been too long.

I was just going to comment a bit more on what A.C. mentioned about the E7TE's
and factory cast heads. He brings up some good info on this if you are open to
options. I recently rebuilt a 1969 302 out of my early bronco, and my engine
builder, a successful race engine builder here in Oklahoma, also agreed that
the E7TE's would be a slightly better performing head for the 302 over even
the original 302 heads for that motor, and I had a set laying around, but
didn't want to spend much on the motor. These heads came off a 1988 mustang
5.0. ...granted that mustang was EFI, but the heads don't care where the air
is coming from...one note about that thought is the  E7TE's are pedestal mount
rockers, and the factory heads on the bronco and I assume your 260 and 289's
are stud mount. ( I have never had a 260 in anything, and my Tiger is a 302
project so I don't know much about differences they have over the other SBF's)
While obviously the stud mount provides plenty of adjustment and flexibility,
the pedestal mounts have the advantage of simplicity of installation and a
lesser need for maintenance. Obviously the mustang 5.0 heads for well long
term in factory form as pedestal mount so if you are content with leaving them
alone, one can be quite happy with pedestal mount heads IMO...only catch is
the pushrod length is different for a pedestal mount over the stud...so be
aware and you would need to re-measure that length and purchase new rods.
Everything else swaps right over with the EFI head with no problems.

Another thought - As we have all seen I'm sure over the last few decades 351W
factory casting heads were a popular low buck upgrade to the 289/302...without
having to go to an aftermarket head. those can be picked up fair economically
too. I had a set that I sold a year or so ago on EBAY!!!! ....and got a couple
hundred bucks for them, ready for rebuild, or run as is. Just a thought, and
they should appear stock from under the hood for those that want a factory
correct look.

I do have a set of 69 model 302 heads that are stud mount ( came off my bronco
with a factory 2 barrel) that I have no use for, but they would be so
uneconomical to ship I cant imagine anyone wanting them. but if they have any
value to anyone I can get the numbers and offer them up at a real bargain. I
also have a set of Edelbrock performer RPM aluminum heads that are freshly
rebuilt. They have been milled on the deck some, the combustion chambers are
down to about 58cc's from the as-cast 60cc. they are 2.02/1.60's with 170cc
chambers (60259 part #) and I would take 800 + shipping for them. The are
still in the plastic from a fresh valve job and seals/retainers. Great heads
for a smaller motor where cylinder volume doesn't require a larger combustion
chamber to keep compression down...if pump gas is preferred. These heads will
not directly bolt on to the late model 5.0 with stock pistons without valve
relief or fly cut...which is why I'm prepared to sell them, I have a low
mileage 302 5.0 for my Tiger but I don't want to take it apart and cut the
pistons (or cut the pistons in place) for the heads when I can buy a set of
trick flow twisted wedges in a 2.02/1.60 right out of the box and bolt them on
with no clearance issues. The Edelbrocks might even perform slightly better
(very slight) but Trickflows are better suited for my project.

Anyway, that's my sales pitch and thoughts on heads....

Cullen