[Tigers] FW: Hood Floating

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Tigers] FW: Hood Floating
From: "Robin Young" <robin02@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:58:41 -0400
Steve,  if your hood is already open some at the rear, you might try an
experiment with yarn taped in four or five spots at the rear of the hood and
extend it to within about an inch of the windshield. I predict at lower
speeds, the yarn will be more vertical and as the speed increases and
pressure at the windshield increases, the yard should go more horizontal
indicating less air exiting into the higher pressure area and more into the
decreasing pressure under the car. If you try this, let us know what you
find.

To answer your question about the possibility of the hood blowing up;  as
the speed increases a lower air pressure forms along the hood and will raise
it to the point that the air cannot stay conformed to the shape of the hood
and it tumbles putting positive pressure from the air stream against the
hood and lowers it until the air again can conform.  There is nothing to act
on bending it forward but, something unpredictable could side load it and
bend either the hood or hinges sideways.

I have unscrewed my stock spring assembly enough that the hood latched about
one inch from closed.  Highway speeds were uneventful. Robin Young