Re: [Tigers] Battery chargers

To: "THEO SMIT" <tsmit@shaw.ca>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Battery chargers
From: "awtiger" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 21:37:35 -0500
Hey, guys:

A few weeks ago, I posted that I was having a problem with one of my "Battery
Tenders" on my Alpine.  I got some great, very helpful responses that I'm sure
would have solved my problem...if it weren't for the stupid, goofy thing that
ended up being the actual culprit.

To make a long story short, the next night I ended up with one phase of my
two-phase electrical service not working in my shop.  Weird stuff was going
on, such as one bank of overhead lights wouldn't work unless I turned on the
a/c unit, etc, etc.  I was just sure that the Spirit of Lucas had jumped out
of the Alpine and the Tiger and into the shop wiring!!!  So, I got out my
trusty multimeter and checked the voltage of the incoming service.  One of the
lines was pumping out 124 volts, which is great, but the other line was only
running about 60 volts.  I had a drainage pipe installed several months ago
and it ran right across where the underground service was buried to the shop.
As it turns out, they evidently nicked one of the service wires while
installing that pipe and it began corroding, eventually culminating the death
of one phase of service.  It just so happens that the battery charger in
question was plugged into a circuit that was running off of that phase.  I've
since run new power lines to the shop (in PVC this time...) and, lo and
behold, the battery charger (and everything else) works like a charm!

I just thought I'd pass along that little story just to give everyone a
chuckle tonight.  Thanks again for all the help on my "problem!!"

Take care,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B382001600LRXFE (TAC #740)