Re: [Tigers] Opinions Please: LAT-70 Repro Wheels Better

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Opinions Please: LAT-70 Repro Wheels Better
From: "Jim & Carolyn Burruss" <cburruss@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:01:34 -0600
The newer LAT-70 repro wheels may well be better than the original ones; I
really don't know,  But here's my experience, for what it's worth.

My LAT-70 wheels did not come with my car.  I purchased them used from an
Alpine racer.  They still have some tire mounting machine marks, so they are
not show quality.  When I got them home, I mounted them on a front spindle one
at a time and measured them for runout and wobble with a dial indicator.  They
were well within the rather liberal specs in the shop manual, which surprised
me because the tire mounting surfaces are not machined like other alloy
wheels.  I have heard of porous alloy wheels, but I have never detected any
coating on the insides of these wheels.  Also interesting, the wheels seem to
have been hard anodized.  The polished front surfaces can be cleaned with fine
steel wool; I've never seen any other aluminum wheels that would tolerate even
a light rub with steel wool.

Finally, I have run these wheels for well over 40 years, including some
autocrossing years ago, They've never given me any trouble.

Jim Burruss
Harvest, Alabama