Re: [Tigers] Factory steel wheels wanted

To: s_ralsten@yahoo.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Factory steel wheels wanted
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:45:18 EDT
Steve,

Tiger wheels and late Alpine wheels are visually identical with the hubcaps
on, but they are not the same wheel.

The lug holes on Tiger wheels are not simply a punched hole as found on
Alpine wheels: stock Tiger steel wheels have a much larger reinforced formed
area that can (allegedly) handle the additional torque and that 'area of the
wheel' is similar to early Alpine wheels.

Sorry, I don't currently have photos available to send to you to show the
difference because of a hard drive crash.

I learned about this the hard way: I literally tore the center out of a
stock Alpine 5 wheel in about 1980 ... my right-front wheel left the car (it
tucked into the fenderwell - then shot out like a launched depth charge) but
the lug nuts were tight, holding on small portions of the lug area of the
stock wheel.

Anyway, unless you are certain you have "big-lug" wheels, I suggest you
don't autocross your car.

Jim Leach    Pacific Tiger Club     Seattle

... PS I have been told very late Tigers used the Alpine small-lug wheels
and that's spooky.