Re: [Tigers] Jack Stands, etc.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Jack Stands, etc.
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 11:47:47 -0400
There have been times when I have had my Tiger up on four jack stands.
As someone else said, it is all about location, location, location and
keeping it level.  If you take a wheel off, put it under the car.
Better the car lands on the wheel than your head.  Just be careful.

Someone on the list once suggested using two standard Sunbeam jacks to
lift the end of the car.  DO NOT TRY THIS!  The channels into which the
jacks slide can easily be rotated, causing the car to come crashing
down.  I once, long ago, thought this would be a clever way to get one
end of the car off the ground.  I don't know what I was thinking.
Luckily, all it cost was some extra detergent to wash my underwear.  It
is always best to use a sturdy floor jack and jack stands.

I have a two car garage which is oversized, so I can squeeze three cars
in it (during the Maine winter, which, as everyone knows, is 9 months
long) if I put the Tiger in crosswise (and the GTI longitudinally).  To
do that, I have acquired a set of dollies and put them under the Tiger's
wheels.  I can, with some effort, move the Tiger around on the dollies.
It also gets the Tiger up in the air enough so I can slide under a ways
without having to put it up on stands.  Very convenient for doing stuff
underneath during the long winter days and nights.  I haven't tried it,
but having the car on the dollies might make it a bit easier to take the
engine and gearbox out the bottom.

I have also seen various designs for home-made engine dollies, often
made from 2 x 6's and plywood.  They work fine.  The wheels off super
market carts are ideal.  In Maine, you can often liberate the remains of
a shopping cart from the snow bank after the plow has cleared the
parking lot at WalMart or Home Depot, ;>)

Tod
B382002384LRXFE