Re: [Tigers] Confessions of a moron

To: "wsamouce" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>,tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Confessions of a moron
From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 18:52:25 -0400
At 05:54 PM 4/12/2010, wsamouce wrote:
 >I would like to say this happened years ago but it was this last Saturday.
 >
 >I have been having issues with the 7" Girling brake booster for about 2
 >years now. My car was missing the booster when I bought it and I bought one
 >from a great guy (name withheld).
 >
 >This booster has been off my car three times and back to (the guy) for
 >rebuild and adjustment to try to get it working correctly. It kept applying
 >slight pressure to the brakes which is really bad for gas mileage and brake
 >pads and shoes.

I have rebuilt a number of the Girling Boosters,
in both sizes, and I think I know what the fellow
was doing wrong.  These things are pretty simple
to overhaul and the only requirements are the
proper rebuilt kit, a lot of caution, and even
more attention to detail.  Of the dozen or so I
have rebuilt, one did maintain residual pressure
-- I took it apart and found that I had not
properly cleaned the can, so that the piston was
snagging slightly.  A complete cleaning, five
minutes with some ultra-fine sandpaper, and
another complete cleaning, then reassembly and it worked fine.

Girling boosters are really not that hard to
overhaul, sort of on the same order as a Bosch
K-Jetronic fuel-injection system.  Surgical
cleanliness is really necessary.  Beyond that,
though, it is not rocket science.

But, yes, I would go for the Lockheed booster
today -- the Girling Boosters were last made
years back, I believe, and, unless you find a NIB
example, the new unit is bound to be more reliable.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!