Re: [Tigers] Balancing and flywheel confusion

To: "wsamouce@kc.rr.com" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>, "TIGERS@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Balancing and flywheel confusion
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:39:36 -0500
If the 28 oz-in. flexplate was properly in spec (i.e. it has the right mass at
the right angular offset relative to the way the crank bolt holes are drilled)
then you should be able to substitute a 28 oz-in. flywheel without problems.

Balancing the engine requires it to be fully disassembled, so unless you have
a reason to think it might not be as specified, it's certainly more excpedient
to put it together as-is and see... Then again, it's just a short block at
this point, right? If you're not in a rush and want to be sure everything is
up to snuff then it's not a lot of extra work to pull it apart.

I used an aluminum RAM 157 tooth flywheel on my 5.0. I think that for any
uprated application (and really, given the Tiger's flywheel location relative
to your feet, it's a good idea for every rebuild) an SFI rated steel or
aluminum flywhweel is a must... your choice as to weight.

On the 157 tooth flywheel a 10.5" clutch is standard, although some might be
drilled with a dual pattern so you can use an 11 inch clutch. I have the Ford
Motorsports Cobra clutch on mine and it's heavier than I'd like...

Theo

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/theo.smit@dynastream.com

---
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

Thank you for your cooperation.