Re: [Tigers] Ankle safety

To: "Would.U.Believe" <porsche911E@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ankle safety
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 23:55:24 -0400
Funny, the Tiger docs and my 1964 Motor's Manual don't cover that!

I checked a Mustang forum; they were talking about 5 liter / 5 speed, but
the figures should be about right for a 289: Bell housing to block: 38 - 55
ft. lbs., transmission to bell housing: 45 - 65 ft. lbs.. I've used @ 50 ft.
lbs. for both with grade 8 bolts with lock washers; the bolts are 7/16",
Grade 5 bolt torque is 49, Grade 8 is 70 according to the online chart.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/25.shtml

http://www.portlandbolt.com/technicalinformation/bolt-torque-chart.html

As to which gets mounted first, everybody has their own procedures. I put
the bell housing on the engine first, use @ 6" long 7/16 bolts on all four
corners to slide in the transmission, remove the bottom bolts and install
the mounting bolts, then do the top. It makes aligning the transmission
input shaft to the clutch much easier.

A note of caution: do not use the mounting bolts to draw the transmission
into the pilot bearing. you can push the pilot bearing back... this
according to the folks who made my new clutch.

Tom