[Tigers] Fw: Re: 7/16" to 1/2" wheel studs

To: Beamclub <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Fw: Re: 7/16" to 1/2" wheel studs
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 23:38:27 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Mon, 5/24/10, Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 7/16" to 1/2" wheel studs
To: "John Stithem" <mai65tai@sonic.net>
Cc: "Beamclub" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Monday, May 24, 2010, 10:59 PM

Removal of the rear hub will be necessary to remove the old stud- you could
cut them off and then using a drift punch, knock out the remaining part but
then drilling out the hole to the proper size- remembering different brand
studs use different size knurlings on the stud that goes thru the hub which
also has female knurlings that match original Rootes lug bolts.IF Rootes made
a 1/2 inch lug bolt we could find in the UK but we still couldn't machine the
female knurlings. All that said a machinist would allow .00X difference in the
1/2 inch stud. Then get the old hole aligned center wise to his approval prior
to drilling to the size he decides is correct. There isn't enough room to
install the rear studs with the hub on the axle- ALTHOUGH, someone did
previously post an emergency fix by grinding the end on an angle, allowing the
stud to have room to "square up" and install. One reason I wanted to replace
the studs was they where to short for one set of
 14" wheels I own, so that fix wouldn't have worked for me. I also had a
broken stud. After having removed my rear hubs and having one that was very
hard to get off and the other pretty well easy. EXCELLENT penetrating oil was
soaking the whole time tho -- at least a week with the heat of a 100 watt
light bulb heating the area as close as I could get the bulb to the key way-
which was up by chance.I think if you have never packed your rear axle
bearing, then you need to. My $.02 worth of course. I also used plenty of
antisieze when putting the hubs back on the axles. Pay attention to your shims
as my end play was much different after installing new bearings that I did not
use the same ammount of shims on the drivers side. I replaced the inner axle
seal too and the originals are leather. Of course I couldn't find those but
afterward I cleaned them up and think the original leather seals would have
continued to work as well or better than the newer non
 leather seal(IMO). Since starting this post, others have posted concerning
the strength of the hub after drilling the holes to fit a 1/2 inch lug bolt.
After having the hubs off and examining them, I wish now I had thought about
installing 1/2 inch lugs. I feel there is plenty of metal to withstand the
small amount required to get the stud to fit. Remembering that the original
hub had what I call "knurlings" on the stud and in the hub, its obvious if
drilled out you will be left with a round hole and no knurlings,Just removing
the knurlings will make the original hole much larger and although I don have
one off, I will try to remove one from my project rear end, so I can get a
better visual of the hub and the amount of metal remaining. Considering how
its made, I don't think there will be any problem for anyone thinking they
want or need 1/2 inch studs. Duke just removed his, I hope mine come off
easier this time. Any questions or thoughts, please post.
TonytheTiger