Re: [Tigers] thermostat reccomendations

To: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>, Tony Somebody
Subject: Re: [Tigers] thermostat reccomendations
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:20:32 -0500
Late last summer, I put a flow restrictor in the water pump bypass hose bung
on the thermostat housing (the water pump bypass hose is the little 90 degree
hose between the thermostat housing and the water pump). In order to make sure
that I didn't inadvertently restrict the water pump flow too much if I were to
close the heater valve when the engine was cold, I drilled a couple more
bypass holes in the thermostat, to add to the one 1/8" hole I had previously
put in there. It turns out that the 1/8" hole, combined with the three 5/32"
holes I added, are too much. The engine does not warm up (i.e. hit the
thermostat's temperature) unless I'm really running the car hard, or unless
the outside temperature is above about 65 F and I'm moving under 30 MPH for
some time. This causes issues with my fuel injection system because it goes
into a warm-up enrichment mode when the coolant temperature is low.

I bought a new thermostat to put less holes in, but I haven't got around to
installing it yet - Tiger season is late this year.
Tony, Ford smallblocks are optimally run at about 190 degrees or even higher,
to minimize wear in the cylinder bores. If you have iron heads, then any
temperature over 180 that doesn't actually boil the coolant and cause it to
puke, is acceptable...

Theo

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > My Tiger runs cooler than anyone would believe- even me and Ive
> checked it

---
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

Thank you for your cooperation.